Saturday, May 17th, 2008.
Congresswoman Lois Capps (D-CA) and the staff of the House Energy and Commerce Committee organized a briefing for key staff members of the House, on the critical need for legislation to ban asbestos.
- Monday, May 19th at 2 PM
- Rayburn House Office Building, Room 2218
- List of discussants includes Mary Hesdorffer, a nurse practitioner and the Medical Liaison for the Mesothelioma Applied Research Foundation, who specializes in asbestos cancer patients. Asbestos exposure causes a range of diseases, including mesothelioma — one of the deadliest, and under-researched cancers. Asbestos is so deadly that there is no known safe level of exposure, even the smallest fiber can cause disease, and the latency period is sometimes decades long. Studies show that asbestos exposure kills up to 10,000 Americans each year, and judging from the present levels of asbestos usage, that number isn’t likely to decrease without a major federal investment in medical research for mesothelioma. Hesdorffer will explain the importance of supporting the legislation to ban asbestos, as well as research funding provisions, which are yet to be included in the bill, pending in the House.
About the Mesothelioma Applied Research Foundation
The Meso Foundation is a not-for-profit collaboration of patients and families, physicians, advocates and researchers dedicated to eradicating the life-ending and vicious effects of mesothelioma. The Foundation provides patients and families with information on mesothelioma treatments, clinical trials and medical referrals through its full-time mesothelioma nurse practitioner and its website, http://www.curemeso.org.
The Meso Foundation also hosts an annual symposium to educate patients and families on the
latest advances in meso research and treatment. This year, the Symposium
will be held in Washington, DC on June 26-28.
Recent Posts in the Same Categories
Most Recent in Asbestos & Mesothelioma Studies
- The Latest Clinical Trial for Nintedanib – Are You a Candidate?
- Lack of Treatment Responses for Mesothelioma, Proteins Combat Metastasis
- Lung-Sparing Surgery Dramatically Improves Prognosis for Mesothelioma Patients
- Chemical Components In Peppers and Sea Cucumbers May Combat Mesothelioma
- Positive Response for Immunotherapy Treatment KEYTRUDA ®
Most Recent in Asbestos Legislation
Most Recent in Mesothelioma Applied Research Foundation (MARF)
- Mesothelioma Awareness Day 2016
- Senator Max Baucus Honored by Mesothelioma Applied Research Foundation
- Mesothelioma Applied Research Foundation Funds Eight New Research Projects to Advance Critically-Needed Mesothelioma Treatments
- Mesothelioma Awareness Day Expands Since 2005 Founding
- Mesothelioma Doctor, Advocate and Volunteers Recognized by the Mesothelioma Applied Research Foundation