Fujirebio Diagnostics Honored with Pioneer Award from MARF; Company Recognized for Substantial Contributions to Mesothelioma Research And the MESOMARK(TM) Test, the First Blood Test for Mesothelioma
Monday, November 7th, 2005.
Fujirebio Diagnostics, Inc. (FDI), a world-leader in in-vitro diagnostics, was recently honored with a Pioneer Award from the Mesothelioma Applied Research Foundation (MARF). FDI, one of several companies presented with a Pioneer Award at MARF’s Second International Symposium on Malignant Mesothelioma, received the award for substantial contributions to mesothelioma research and the MESOMARK(TM) test, the first blood test for mesothelioma.
“Fujirebio Diagnostics is committed to providing highly-effective diagnostic tools to better manage this aggressive form of cancer,” said Monte Wiltse, vice president of sales and marketing for FDI. “We at Fujirebio Diagnostics thank MARF for the Pioneer Award and look forward to a continued, productive partnership as we make strides together in overcoming this challenging disease.”
The Pioneer Award features a reproduction of a painting of a compass on a chart by a mesothelioma patient. Chris Hahn, executive director of MARF, explained that the painting symbolically links the pioneer-like journey of mesothelioma patients and researchers today to early American pioneers who explored uninhabited territory for the benefit of others.
“With Mesothelioma historically having trouble attracting research dollars from companies, the Pioneer Award is meant to thank and honor companies that have significantly invested in improving outcomes for mesothelioma patients,” Hahn said. “Fujirebio Diagnostics is one of the leading biomarker companies in the world. Its investment in this new field of diagnostics improves treatment and life for mesothelioma patients. We’re extremely grateful to Fujirebio Diagnostics for its investment in mesothelioma research. We know the award and discussions at the symposium were encouraging to mesothelioma patients and their families in attendance.”
The MESOMARK test is a manual enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) that works by identifying biomarkers called soluble mesothelin-related peptides (SMRP). These proteins are released into the bloodstream by malignant mesothelioma cells.
Malignant Pleural Mesothelioma is a highly aggressive form of cancer found in the lining of the chest, the abdominal cavity and around the heart, in which fluid accumulates between the lining of the lungs and chest cavity. Mesothelioma is primarily caused by work-related asbestos exposure and has an average latency period of up to 50 years. It is estimated that more than 100 million people worldwide have been occupationally exposed to asbestos in the past five decades.
MARF is a national nonprofit organization dedicated to eradicating mesothelioma as a life-threatening disease. For more information, please visit www.marf.org.
Fujirebio Diagnostics, Inc. (FDI) is a premier diagnostics company and the industry leader in tumor marker assays. FDI specializes in the clinical development, manufacturing and commercialization of in-vitro diagnostic products for the management of human disease states, with an emphasis in oncology. In November 1998, Fujirebio, Inc. of Tokyo, Japan, acquired the company, formerly known as Centocor Diagnostics. FDI utilizes its worldwide distribution network to enable access by physicians and patients to its diagnostic products. For more information about FDI, please call 610-240-3800 or visit www.fdi.com.
Most Recent in
- 08/03/12 - MolMed: NGR-hTNF: increased recruitment rate – with completion foreseen by the end of the year – in the Phase III mesothelioma trial, and new European patent granted
- 07/18/12 - Bayer HealthCare receives Orphan Drug Designation for its Anti-Cancer Agent in the U.S. for the Treatment of Mesothelioma
- 10/12/10 - Raltitrexed (Tomudex®) in Combination With Cisplatin in the Treatment of MPM Improves Overall Survival Compared to Treatment With Cisplatin Alone
- 04/20/10 - MolMed starts Phase III trial of NGR-hTNF in mesothelioma
- 04/13/10 - microRNAs Shown To Have Powerful Potential as Diagnostic and Prognostic Markers In A Variety Of Cancer Indications
Most Recent in
Fujirebio Diagnostics, Inc.
- 11/02/07 - Fujirebio Diagnostics Honored with Pioneer Award from Meso Foundation: MESOMARK® Test Recognized for Monitoring Patients with Asbestos-linked Cancer
- 03/26/07 - CISBIO Announces FDA Approval of MESOMARK®; Assay Now Available to Physicians in the U.S. for Monitoring Patients with Mesothelioma
- 03/12/07 - NYU Study Validates Use Of Fujirebio Diagnostics’ MESOMARK Test For Monitoring An Asbestos-Linked Cancer
- 02/07/07 - NYU Study Validates Use of the Fujirebio Diagnostics MESOMARK® Test for Monitoring an Asbestos-Linked Cancer
- 01/25/07 - Fujirebio Diagnostics Receives FDA Approval for the MESOMARK® Assay for the Management of Mesothelioma Patients
Most Recent in
Mesothelioma Applied Research Foundation (MARF)
- 06/18/10 - Senator Max Baucus Honored by Mesothelioma Applied Research Foundation
- 02/24/10 - Mesothelioma Applied Research Foundation Funds Eight New Research Projects to Advance Critically-Needed Mesothelioma Treatments
- 09/16/09 - Mesothelioma Awareness Day Expands Since 2005 Founding
- 06/22/09 - Mesothelioma Doctor, Advocate and Volunteers Recognized by the Mesothelioma Applied Research Foundation
- 05/20/09 - 2009 International Symposium on Malignant Mesothelioma: June 25-27
Most Recent in
- 11/24/15 - November is Lung Cancer Awareness Month
- 07/23/15 - Workers still exposed to asbestos at high levels
- 07/10/15 - Asbestos-related deaths higher than previous estimates
- 06/30/15 - Mapping the Deadly Toll of Asbestos – State by State, County by County
- 06/17/15 - EPA Inspector General: Agency’s Asbestos Guidance ‘Potential Risk to Public Health’
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.
Both comments and pings are currently closed.